about this blog


About this Blog

Doing an illustration for my other blog, I had a very frustrating experience with new quality drawing paper which got me thinking and indeed resulted in a flood of ideas, what can be done with the 99 sheets of paper that are still left from the block. So I decided to install a whole new blog to show you the results. I hope you will enjoy them as much as I like to create the projects.

The sheets of paper I am working with are size A4 (21 x 29.7 mm), 185 g/m².

TERMS OF USE: I'm happy for you to use this tutorial to make items which you can keep, give as gifts or sell. You are not permitted to copy, resell or distribute the tutorial in any form (printed or digital). All images and texts are my own and under copyright.

Samstag, 19. Januar 2013

Snow crystals


Finally it's winter outside! Everything is beautifully covered in snow, so that I felt like making some snow crystals inside, too. Unfortunately my camera is absolutely inadequate for close-ups. But I will give you better photographs as soon as I have my new one. Anyway, I hope you get a nice enough impression to feel like doing them yourself.

Snow Crystal Tutorial

Material: 1 sheet of paper
                sandwich paper
                glue stick
                darning wool
                darning needle
  • Cut out circles of different sizes, varying the sizes of the inner circles, too. Don't throw away the cutouts: they will be used for the non-transparent crystals. It has to be an even number of circles as you will glue them together in pairs.
  • Rumple a sheet of sandwich paper and carefully smoothe it a bit. Glue a piece to one circle and fix it thoroughly, then glue the second circle on top.
  • The full circles are also glued together in pairs of two to lend them more stability.
  • With the darning needle pierce a pattern of tiny holes into the circle that can be divided by six, as in real snow crystals.
  • Take a length of darning wool (not two short, as there is no way to hide loose ends of a further thread) and pull through the first hole at the outside of your pattern. Leave about 10 - 15 cm dangling, you will need it later to build a hanger.
  • Now you can stitch any pattern you like.There's an amazing range of possiblities without any need for repetition. The only thing that you have to keep in mind is that you end in the same hole where you started, but threading through the opposite side.  I also took care to have them look identical on both sides, which indeed helps with inventing patterns, because otherwise an even number of holes might leave you with your thread ending at random.
  • Knot the loose ends of your thread together building a hanger.



Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen